In the same spirit as my "Hispanic Studies Journals" blog (http://hispanicstudies journals.blogspot.com/), this venue affords Hispanists the opportunity to share with colleagues their experiences with the review and publication processes of various academic presses. My motive is not to encourage irrational venting sessions for rejected authors, but to prompt an intelligent and useful exchange that might assist scholars with choosing academic presses that exemplify professionalim and integrity; entities that conduct the entire review process expeditiously and provide authors with useful feedback for improving their book-length manuscripts. Discouraging stories have often been shared at academic conferences and within language and literature departments across the country, and these should indeed be posted here to help each other avoid similar experiences. Besides assisting our fellow scholars, if this blog also succeeds at ultimately improving the management of certain academic presses, then many in the profession will benefit.
They made me wait forever (twice as long as they told me initially I would have to wait.) Then, the book was rejected because it's too long, even though, according to them, "it is very well-researched and well-documented." The entire response from the reviewers was 8 lines long. A little too little after waiting for over a year, in my opinion. They say that the manuscript is "repetitive and redundant in places". It would have been great if they pointed out those places, so that I could make relevant changes.
I don't mind the manuscript being rejected by the very first publisher I sent it to, but I was really hoping to get some intelligent feedback and suggestions on how to improve it. This is definitely not the publisher who would do that for you.
This is a sort of last resort publisher, although they put out some worthwhile material. Their editions of classics and critical volumes of conference proceedings and festschrift are probably their strong points. You will not get a lot of feedback, just a yes or no. They are small-scale and don't do the whole "blind referee" process.
They made me wait forever (twice as long as they told me initially I would have to wait.) Then, the book was rejected because it's too long, even though, according to them, "it is very well-researched and well-documented." The entire response from the reviewers was 8 lines long. A little too little after waiting for over a year, in my opinion. They say that the manuscript is "repetitive and redundant in places". It would have been great if they pointed out those places, so that I could make relevant changes.
ReplyDeleteI don't mind the manuscript being rejected by the very first publisher I sent it to, but I was really hoping to get some intelligent feedback and suggestions on how to improve it. This is definitely not the publisher who would do that for you.
This is a sort of last resort publisher, although they put out some worthwhile material. Their editions of classics and critical volumes of conference proceedings and festschrift are probably their strong points. You will not get a lot of feedback, just a yes or no. They are small-scale and don't do the whole "blind referee" process.
ReplyDeleteThey also made me wait forever, They didn't accept it, however they gave me very good corrections.
ReplyDeleteThey made me wait forever. The manuscript was not accepted, however I did receive a lot of feedback.
ReplyDelete